Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BMR

2011-09-28 17:38:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BMR
From: Heathe Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:38:16 -0500
Hello, I am thinking of deploying NetBackup BMR and I had some question on it.

I'm on page 18 (Chapter 2) of the administrator guide.

The first thing it wants me to do is set up tftp and dhcp. I understand *why* it wants me to setup these services, but I'm concerned with policies being enforced by the network and infrastructure departments.

First of all, note that I have never setup, configured or maintained DHCP. I know that when I boot of a DHCP enabled system, it goes through a process to connect to a server which then leases it all the information it needs to participate in the network. That's the extent of my knowledge of DHCP.

With that said, the book wants me to setup a DHCP and tftp server on my Linux BMR boot server. The enterprise LAN I'm on already has corporate level DHCP servers for all the clients on the network. Is the step on page 18 having me setup a config file that will direct incoming requests to the corporate DHCP servers that already exist on my network, or am I setting up my own DHCP server? I'm just trying to understand this so that I don't enable something that will result in me getting shot by the network staff.

Please clarify.

Thank you.

Environment:

Master Server: Red Hat Enterprise 5 running NBU 7.1