Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on DB online backups

2011-09-26 13:49:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on DB online backups
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:49:01 +0000

I don’t do it on Windows but on UNIX/Linux there are a few options:

1)       Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) – Requires NBU Oracle client – This essentially puts RMAN in charge of the backups – fairly complicated setup requiring an RMAN repository and backup/restore scripts for RMAN.   We only do this for a couple of small DBs that are on Oracle ASM so require it.

2)       Cold backup.  We stop the Database and backup the filesystems on which the data files live.

3)       Hot backup.  This is a special mode you can put Oracle in that prevents it from committing changes (it logs them instead) while the backup is running so it is a point in time.   After the backup completes you take the DB out of this mode and it commits the changes it previously logged.
For large databases with lots of activity this can be a problem.  One work around many people do is disk mirroring built into many disk arrays (different names – e.g. BCV/SRDF on EMC, Shadow Image on Hitachi etc…)   One can establish the mirror before the time of hot backup then put DB in hot backup mode just to split the mirrors.  One then mounts the mirrors in another location and does a backup of the data files.

4)       Dump the data and backup the dumped data.   Not pretty.