Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] What to do with our growing Catalog on the Masterserver??

2011-09-08 15:59:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] What to do with our growing Catalog on the Masterserver??
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Bluejay Adametz" <bluejay AT fujifilm DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:58:57 -0400
I was working on our 7.1 upgrade project and was looking for a fision-io card
or other SSD solution for my catalog. The flat file aspect of the catalog is an
I/O hog, and I'd prefer an SSD solution to 8 or 10 spindles in my master. I
tend to agree with those that say it's a bad idea to put your catalog on an
array you backup etc...

As far as upgrading in place versus new master is concerned, we are doing the
latter. We have many clients that cannot upgrade to 7.1 at this point due to
compatibility concerns. We'll keep our 6.5.6 master around a year or so until
all those client have been migrated. At that point I will likely re-import the
few backup images that have not yet expired. 99% of our backups' retentions are
1 year or less, so this shouldn't be much work.

-Jonathan