Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBAC with AD-originated UNIXPWD Groups (RHEL Master Server)

2011-08-17 22:02:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBAC with AD-originated UNIXPWD Groups (RHEL Master Server)
From: thjones2 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:52:49 -0700
I'm attempting to get NBAC configured as part of a large NBU 7.x rollout. I'm
running my NBU master on RHEL 5.6 server. The RHEL server is configured, via
LikeWise, to do central user authentication/management through Active
Directory. As far as getting NBAC to use AD-managed users through the UNIXPWD
entry point (such that NBAC calls the OS native authentication system, which,
by way of PAM and LikeWise pulls user/authentication data from Active
Directory), everything works. I can add my AD userid into NBAC. However, if I
try to use the "O.S. Group" option, while NBAC seems happy to use users that
show up in /etc/group, it's being pissy about the AD-managed groups: it allowed
me to add the "wheel" group (GID 10 in /etc/passwd) to the NBAC group using the
"O.S. Group" method; however, when I tried to add "san^admins" or
"netbackup-tier3" (AD-managed groups) I get the error message saying it's not a
valid group. I used getent() to verify that I wasn't fat-fingering the groups
 or otherwise passing them incorrectly to NBAC.

This would be a lot less confusing if NBAC was refusing non-locally managed
users through the UNIXPWD module, but, that's not the case. It seems to only be
a groups issue (and only non-local groups). While I could do my NBAC
role-management via individually enumerated users, it makes it a HUGE pain in
the ass  to do so, particularly if I've got more than one NBU master per
network. Being able to create an AD-managed group and then map NBAC
roles/groups to those (now) OS-level groups would make NBAC a lot less onerous
to manage.

Any suggestions or such would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's something as
simple as "NBAC doesn't support groupnames longer than X characters", I could
shoehorn my AD groupnames into compliant name-lengths, I just need to know what
the maximum is.