Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Fw: Data Domain Question

2011-08-16 14:21:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Fw: Data Domain Question
From: scott.george AT parker DOT com
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:20:34 -0400
In order to answer that question, another couple of questions would have to be asked:

1.  How long are you going to retain these dumps?  I am assuming that they are uncompressed.  The longer you retain your backups, the better your deduplication ratio will be.  We are wrapping up a proof of concept on a DD 860.  At the end of our "Open Systems" (Windows/UNIX/Linux) part of the evaulation, we were getting 35:1 dedup ratio after 2 months.  We were doing full backups every day.  We were dumping database data (DB2 and SQL) directly to Netbackup via their respective agents.

2.  How much does the database change between backups?  You will have to talk to your DBAs and get this information.  This may not be significant, but you need to find out before you purchase something that will be unable to deliver the results you expect.

In my opinion, uncompressed database dumps are the best candidates for deduplication if your data only changes 10-20%.  When I introduced the DB dumps to NBU to the DataDomain, my dedup ratios  accelerated significantly.

My 2 cents.