Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Library

2011-08-02 14:43:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Library
From: Jim VandeVegt <Jim.Vandevegt AT physiciansmutual DOT com>
To: "'veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu'" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 13:41:08 -0500
We replaced an STK L180 with an i500 about 15 months ago. We went from LTO2 to LTO5. Quantum let us "rent" an LTO3 drive which we used to copy all our long-retention images to the new media.

We looked at Spectra too. The Spectra came out a little more expensive and I thought their robot design with the terapacks was too complicated. That being said I haven't heard about any big problems with them. Spectra also wasn't ready to release LTO5 at the time we were buying.

The i500 has been working out well for us. The robot's feed rate (how fast it will move tapes around the library & CAP) is not as fast as the STK units, but it gets the job done. The slowness is rarely noticed when doing scheduled backups because we aren't standing there waiting on it.

Reliability on the i500 has been good. We had a loose ribbon cable on the robot carriage catch and stop it once that support fixed and believe triggered an engineering fix as well to properly fold and protect the cable. Other than that a couple drives replaced that change out of the back pretty easy. We started out at the lowest service level because it is user-serviceable but got tired of waiting until the next day for parts and upgraded to 7x24x4 service.

Only one design flaw I can speak of. The drive-to-library communication channel is rather slow. I think it is a 9.6 kbps serial connection. The robot does not have its own fiber connection - it uses a separate LUN on one of the tape drives - they call it the control path. This means the operation of inventorying the robot in NetBackup uses that slow link. The inventory is maintained on the library, but pulling the information using a drive. Another slow operation is pulling a drive log for support. You access the library GUI over Ethernet, and it has to pull the log across that slow link from the drive so you can download it. Takes 20-30 minutes.

Jim VandeVegt | Technical Integrator, ETG

Physicians Mutual | 2600 Dodge Street | Omaha, NE 68131

402.930.2649 | PhysiciansMutual.com | Jim.VandeVegt AT PhysiciansMutual DOT com

Insurance for all of us.™

health | life | retirement