Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Standard vs VMware?? confused :(

2011-07-13 11:37:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Standard vs VMware?? confused :(
From: Tony1100 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:37:09 -0700
Currently I have NBU 6.5 master and media server and around 40 NBU Windows
clients with standard licenses.  Nothing fancy.  Our VM environment has 9 ESXi
3.5 hosts with 50 VM's and shared datastores.  About 10 of those VM's are using
the standard NBU clients to backup to tape.  Nothing fancy there either. ;)

I'm looking into possibly moving to a VMware NBU configuration? and backup VM's
via datastore, etc.., but I'm not 100% sure how this is configured.  And
honestly, I'd like to stay with the cheapest solution (regarding NBU licenses).
 I also heard that if I just purchase Enterprise licenses for each ESX host, I
can use as many NBU standard clients on VM's that I please.

So as you can tell, I'm a bit confused and need to know my options and which is
the most cost effective.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
Thx -T