Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Questing Regarding Impact of Archived Data and NDMP

2011-06-16 11:23:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Questing Regarding Impact of Archived Data and NDMP
From: rhugga <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:22:57 -0700
We are getting ready to deploy Hitachi's HCP archiver which basically archives
data on our NAS that hasn't been accessed in a certain amount of time. It does
this by moving the blocks to lower-tier storage and placing a stub file in its
place on the NAS. Any subsequent reads of that stub file will result in the
file being "unarchived" (this is all transparent to the client and happens on
the back end). So to prevent netbackup from causing files to be "unarchived"
during backups we will need to deploy the following NDMP settings:

NDMP_BLUEARC_EXCLUDE_MIGRATED = Y
NDMP_BLUEARC_EXTERNAL_LINKS = recreate_link

My question is, does anyone know the impact these settings will have on NDMP
overhead/performance? We have multiple 12TB volumes with large numbers of files
and I'm concerned this will become even more of an issue. It's gotta add some
kind of overhead, I'm just concerned on how much.