Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Open file backup error

2011-06-09 00:17:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Open file backup error
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 00:17:21 -0400
> Hey Bob, it's not FUD. VSP has been problematic since, I
> don't know, 4.5?

Yessir, 4.5fp6 was the total replacement release where Columbia Data
Products' OTM was replaced with VSP.

> It would fail to release the lock on the file and therefore ]...]

Sure there were problems, the worst IMO being what I believe you're
alluding to--where antivirus software that wasn't told to ignore the
.vsp files and would keep them open so NetBackup couldn't delete the
cache file, requiring a reboot to remove.  And several other to be
sure--but where I intended to go was that, properly configured, VSP
generally did a good job of OFB for me--where _any_ OFB backup was a
win since Microsoft had nothing to help their own OS.

> I agree with you that MS took too long to come out with VSS. But now
> that VSS is around and works very well (most of the time), there is
> no reason for VSP.

Agree, and that's the reason this is worth a reply.  I intended to say
it explicitly in the first message but forgot:  once MS offered OFB
with w2k3, there was no reason to keep using a third-party installable
device driver--configure the OS vendor's solution and move on.