Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best way to do ESXi 4.1 backup by Veritas Netbackup.

2011-05-25 10:59:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best way to do ESXi 4.1 backup by Veritas Netbackup.
From: rhugga <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 07:58:58 -0700
Well I know with 7.x you can now use the vstorage API. I'm just scratching the
surface on this myself and plan on moving to this method once I upgrade to 7.1.
From what I have gathered so far:

1) You deploy a "vmware backup host" which is basically just a window machine
with an enterprise client license. (I think if you have a windows media server
this can be piggy-backed onto an existing media server)
2) From there the backup host communicates with the ESX servers directly and
integrates with the snapshot capabilities and pulls the data directly from the
ESX servers. You no longer need clients in the VM guests. (if you were going
that route before)
3) This provides granular file restore for windows and linux clients. (linux as
of 7.1) Still no granular file restore from solaris from what I have gathered.

I've heard mixed results from people using this but overall it seems orders of
magnitude better than the older VCB method. If your ESX datastores are on SAN
there are some even better methods of backing of your vmware environments.
Unfortunately we are on NAS at my current shop.