Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] REQUIRED_INTERFACE, anyone using private backup networks?

2011-05-24 15:39:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] REQUIRED_INTERFACE, anyone using private backup networks?
From: rhugga <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:39:27 -0700
I've never needed to use that parameter until I started using Data Domain/OST.
Prior to that I ran several netbackup masters some which sat on dozens of
networks and never needed that parameter. Just make sure and configure your
clients with the hostname that the master/media servers will resolve to an
address on the network you want the data to traverse.

Example of the environment where I am now: We have a public network and an
isolated "backup network" that is not routed. Most clients have interfaces on
both but I do have some legacy clients only on the public network.

172.16.1.1 master.example.com
172.16.1.2 client1.example.com
172.16.1.3 client2.example.com  # client with no interface on backup network
172.16.2.1 master-b
172.16.2.2 client1-b

1) Installed master using the hostname of the machine on the public network
(same with any media servers) - master.example.com in this case
2) Installed client1 specifying master server = master-b.example.com, and
client name = client1-b (Note - the configured name of the client doesn't
really matter if your doing server-initiated backups only, it will always
communicate wit the master/media server over the same network it was contacted
thru)
3) Installed client2 specifying master server = master.example.com

This has worked for me in many environments.

However, when I started doing a POC using Data Domain and OST/SLP's, I ran into
a headache. Regardless of whatever required interface settings I tried,
/etc/hosts or dns trickery, etc... I could not get data domain to move data
across the correct network. Using required interface would then prevent me from
doing backups of the clients that were only on my public network. How I
resolved this w/o needing to jack around with required interface settings:

# Public Network
172.16.1.1 master.example.com           # this address used only for management
access and the few clients w/o backup interfaces
172.16.1.2 client1.example.com
172.16.1.3 client2.example.com
172.16.1.4 datadomain.example.com    # this address used only for management
access
172.16.1.5 media1.example.com

# Backup network
172.16.2.1 master-b (this is the 10gb interface on my nbu master)
172.16.2.2 client1-b
172.16.2.3 datadomain-b  (this is a 2x10gb trunked interface on my data domain)
172.16.2.4 media1-b
172.16.2.5 filer1-b
172.16.2.6 filer2-b

1) Installed master server using server name = master-b  (Note that I can't
manage this with the netbackup console because I can't reach this network from
my desk, work-around provided later)
2) Installed media server(s) using server name = media1-b
3) Installed data domain with interfaces on both public and backup networks
4) Created data domain LSU's and storage pools and etc... using ONLY the backup
network hostnames for everything (master-b, media1-b, datadomain-b)

Now, to get the netbackup console to work from my desk I had to do a little
trickey:

1) In your local /etc/hosts file or system32\drivers\etc\hosts (if on windows)
map the master server's backup network hostname to the IP address of the backup
server on the public network:
172.16.1.1    master-b

2) Now when logging into the netbackup console, you will put the server name of
"master-b" (Since your hosts file should be consulted prior to DNS, you will
get to the right address)

Why is this needed.. For some reason when you log into the netbackup conslole
it takes the server name you specified and does things internally with this,
irrelevant of any DNS or /etc/hosts settings. If I had specified "master" I can
initially connect with the netbackup console (because all it is at this point
is an IP connection) but when you try and manage things like the media server
or disk pools it starts acting screwy. (internally its trying to contact a
master server with the name "master" and not "master-b")

This seems odd but the above works rock solid. I run a 6.5.6 environment with
this and I use almost the full compliment of netbackup addons. (Vault, SSO,
Oracle, Exchange, NDMP, NDMP direct to tape, OST, SLP, VMWare, SQL Server,
Evault agent, Sharepoint agents, etc...)

In Summary, unless you are using data domain as an OST target, you shouldn't
need to do any resolution trickery or require interface settings. I've ran
pre-OST netbackup (version 3.x thru 7.x) in some of the most kludge networks,
static routes, vlan tagging, isolated non-routable networks, networks with ICMP
disabled, etc... and never needed required interface.