Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN restore to altnerate server failing

2011-05-18 16:00:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN restore to altnerate server failing
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 16:00:38 -0400

We’re seeing the following when attempting a restore of an RMAN backup:

Starting restore at 18-MAY-11

channel ch00: looking for autobackup on day: 20110518

channel ch00: autobackup found: c-604673869-20110518-00

released channel: ch00

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 05/18/2011 13:48:24

ORA-19870: error reading backup piece c-604673869-20110518-00

ORA-19507: failed to retrieve sequential file, handle="c-604673869-20110518-00", parms=""

ORA-27029: skgfrtrv: sbtrestore returned error

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

   Failed to process backup file <c-604673869-20110518-00>

On the NetBackup master itself I never see any sign that the restore was attempted.   The above message is from the client from which the restore is being attempted.   Also we’ve found that from that client we can’t list the backups but from the Production client from which they were originally backed up we can list them.

The client backed up and the atlternate one on which we’re attempting the restore are both RHEL5 and the master is RHEL6.   All 3 are running NBU 7.1.

We had previously done this when the clients were 6.5.4 and the master was an HP-UX server running 6.5.4.   We did not migrate to the new master but rather installed it from scratch then updated the clients to 7.1 and pointed them at the new master.    We have had many successful backups of the first client since the move and update of clients.

Initially the DBA had not modified his script to use the new master but he is still having issues even though he has now done the modification.

I ran a tcpdump while he attempted a restore and saw that connections are being made from the alternate client to the master but nothing is ever going to the master’s logs nor is it ever actually creating a restore job in the Activity Monitor.

Has anyone seen this and if so how did you resolve it?

Is there something different about RMAN in 7.1 as compared to 6.5.4?

Jeff Lightner | UNIX/Linux Administrator | DS Waters of America, Inc | 5660 New Northside Drive, Ste 250 | Atlanta, GA 30328
(: (Direct Dial) 678-486-3516 |(: (Cell) 678-772-0018 *:jlightner AT water DOT com