Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN and NetBackup Question

2011-05-15 09:44:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN and NetBackup Question
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 09:44:04 -0400
RMAN and NetBackup each has a retention and one can normally restore from a backup that has expired from neither.  (One can "add back" a unexpired NetBackup image into the RMAN catalog, as one can import a tape image back into the NetBackup catalog)

RMAN does not know the Netbackup retention nor does NetBackup know the RMAN retention.  There are RMAN commands to bring these into (momentary) sync, deleting items in the RMAN catalog or control file and NetBackup.  For example, I use (on my tapeless system) these RMAN commands, weekly:
  • delete noprompt obsolete device type disk;
  • crosscheck backup;
  • delete noprompt expired backup device type disk;
It should be noted that RMAN retention policies can be more complex than, or different from, Netbackup's simple "keep for n days".

I have no clue how RMAN could change its mind unless somehow the control file and RMAN catalog were different and one query used the catalog and the other didn't.

Cheers, Wayne