Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] REQUIRED_INTERFACE, anyone using private backup networks?

2011-05-13 20:03:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] REQUIRED_INTERFACE, anyone using private backup networks?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 00:03:34 +0000
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:11:02AM -0700, deasnutz wrote:
> What is the purpose of the parameter anyway? If the OS will route
> however the OS is configured, it seems like it will only work if the
> interfaces are on the same subnet.

No, it's a bit more than that.

Think of the required interface as "When the media server connects to
the client, this will be IP source address".

I'm using in one situation.  I have some physical hosts that have 2
interfaces, but they have virtual IPs on them that exist only on the
public network.  With required interface, I can connect to the public
IP, but the client will send all traffic back via the backup network.  I
really can think of no other way of getting this to happen with host
files.  I could probably do it with a host route on each of the clients,
but that's very expensive from a maintenance standpoint.

Because the setting is for the entire media server, it's very
inflexible.  I'd rather be able to set it per-client.  I'm hopeful
that's part of what 7.1 introduces (I haven't looked at it).

--
Darren