Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup

2011-04-22 16:21:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:20:52 -0500
You will get little to no dedupe if your DBA or DB agent performs any compression or encryption on the db backup before it gets onto the DD. Always note, what you will get and what someone else will get will always differ somehow, so take the below with a grain of salt.

I have been seeing between 18 and 20 times compression for an environment that is made up of about 50 VMs and has several DB servers. I can't give you numbers more granular than that because we are using only one LSU.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

sandesh <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

04/22/2011 03:11 PM
Please respond to
<VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>

<VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup

Thanks rhugga

I also have a quick question to all experts on dedup ratio that you see on database backup, for e.g. SQL, DB2 & Oracle.

What is the usual ratio you see with database backups using native application backup utilites or using NetBackup Agents? Does it make any difference do it?

Suppose if DBA's generates 1TB of SQL native database backup flat files for a given server and if I back up flat files using NetBakcup n keep it for 5 weeks essentially backing up 30TB of data then how much compression one would see and what factors does it depend on.?

Thanks.