Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restoration Issue

2011-04-15 19:45:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restoration Issue
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:45:33 -0400
> Got a File Server with a share that is approx 400GB and contains
> millions of files.
> San Media Win2k3 Sp2 & NBU 7.0.1 talking to a 7.0.1 Master
>
> Problem: We have identified 40,000 files, of various types (ie:
> word, excel, jpeg, bmp, pdf) that are ZERO bytes. They appear to
> have been like this for 4 months [...]
>
> 1) Files are scattered across various folders / subfolders that are
> in use
> 2) I cant just restore everythink back to its original location,
> because there are files that have been recently used and amended

Restoring from a file of filenames (as has been suggested), to a
different directory, would be my preference.  Then maybe script a
comparison between the list of zero-byte files and the ones you have
restored...

If that is impractical and you have a backup of the current state of
the server, zero-byte files and all, you could
a) rename/move/delete the zero-byte files and
b) restore the entire share to original location but do NOT check
Overwrite existing files.  You should get 40,000 restores and
(millions - 40,000) "file exists" messages in the log.