Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup

2011-04-14 12:10:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:10:19 +0200
The restriction we found when we looked into this in 2008 was that the DD only
supported one 'LSU'.  That meant that a single DD appliance could only be used
by a single NetBackup domain.  We wanted to have few appliances and many
domains, which PureDisk (and now the Symantec NetBackup 5000) can do.

I know that the number of LSUs supported has gone up, but I believe that there
is still more of a concept of the DD 'belonging' to a domain than with
PureDisk.  Your EMC SE will be able to correct anything I say that is now wrong!

I have to admit that we've adopted neither and still backup to LTO tape.  That
was more because of the difficulty in creating a cost saving to pay for the
hardware than any technical deficiency of either.

Another factor I think is that with OST the NetBackup domain knows about the
duplicates.  With VTL I believe, and certainly if using the DD as a NAS
BasicDisk and letting it manage its own replication, NetBackup has no idea that
the replicas exist.  I'd suggest you check but it may be that if you duplicate
a VTC you get 2 with the same 'barcode'.

I would advise using OST.  I also think DD have invested a lot more effort in
the non-VTL features over the past few years.

William D L Brown
Ext Tel: +44 1438 766162 Fax +44 1438 312767