Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup

2011-04-14 11:09:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] EMC Data Domain OST Vs VTL with NetBackup
From: sandesh <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:37:44 -0700
We are in the early stages of implementing EMC Data Domain dedupe appliance and
use Symantec NetBackup. I've a couple of questions about it for the experts.

Plan is to have a DD appliance in 1 location and replicate data to another DD
appliance in another location. Plan is also to generate a tape copy for long
term archival at primary location.

1.OST & VTL are both being discussed. Which option is most favorable in the
industry? Are there any specific advantages that can make or break things?
2.VTL supports LTO3 drives at the most. Does this mean that we need to have
LTO3 physical tape drives for duplicate copy or will LTO5 drives work?

Thanks in advance.