Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup reports

2011-03-24 10:35:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup reports
From: "Tewksbury, Kevin" <KTewksbury AT Limitedbrands DOT com>
To: "Veritas Forum (veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:35:13 -0400
All,

As I am new to this forum and to Netbackup as well, let me give some background.  We are using Netbackup primarily for backing up our Teradata systems and some of our Linux nodes.  We also have EMC VTL as our backup tape solution.  The issue I am having is that when a tape fully expires, all images on the tape have expired, the tape does not get cleaned up and the next time that it gets used it has to do a long erase on the tape before it will start writing to it and as you can imagine this can take a bit of time and cause the backups to run long.  So, basically it is a manual process at this point to determine which tapes need to be erased when they expire. I have looked at the many reports for Netbackup and can not find a report that is helping me to determine this information.

I am wanting to be able to gather up tape information, on a single line, about its mediaid, poolname, expiration date, media server, etc.  I am hoping to use this information to load into a table and track the tapes expiration and then build a long erase command to clean the tape when it has fully expired.  So, all in all, long winded I know, my question is, can you create a custom report in Netbackup?  I have not been able to find any information to do this after tirelessly searching the web and Veritas website.

Can anyone help?

Kevin R Tewksbury
Sr. Database Administrator
LimitedBrands
Limited Technology Services
3 Limited Pkwy
Columbus, OH 43230
office: (614) 415-4541
cell: (614) 582-4882
Email:  ktewksbury AT limitedbrands DOT com

Notice: This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by email, and immediately delete the message and any attachments without copying or disclosing them. LBI may, for any reason, intercept, access, use, and disclose any information that is communicated by or through, or which is stored on, its networks, applications, services, and devices.