Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN Backup Error

2011-03-24 08:40:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Backup Error
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:40:38 -0500

Netbackup Guru’s,

We have a hot database backup policy configured to backup an oracle database on two separate unix hosts.  Both hosts backup using the same schedules and the exact same RMAN backup script.  One host completes successfully, the other started giving us the following error after a recent clone.

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch02 channel at 03/24/2011 07:20:54

ORA-27192: skgfcls: sbtclose2 returned error - failed to close file

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

   Failed to process backup file <bk_1305_1_746591618>

ORA-19502: write error on file "bk_1305_1_746591618", block number 9901857 (bloc

k size=8192)

ORA-27030: skgfwrt: sbtwrite2 returned error

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

   VxBSASendData: Failed with error:

The block mentioned here is one of 2 that it seems to be having issues with (the other is 9901825) but I’m at a loss as to where I should be looking to tie in the block number and RMAN backup piece information in order to find out what file the bad block is located in.

The result from a netbackup perspective is that the hot backup never completes on the failing host.  It just sits there until it eventually times out or we kill it.

As far as we can tell, there are no differences in the RMAN or netbackup configurations which points to a data error of some kind.  I’d really appreciate any guidance on the best way to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Glazerman

Enterprise Storage Administrator

Spartech Corporation

Desk: 314-889-8282

Fax: 314-854-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

mark.glazerman AT spartech DOT com

http://www.spartech.com

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, are intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, and do not copy or forward it.