Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup with clients on a VPN?

2011-03-15 11:05:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup with clients on a VPN?
From: Wayne Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:05:40 -0400
I have a few road-warrior clients with laptops that connect to our network via OpenVPN, meaning they have an encrypted connection, but they share an IP address as far as NetBackup sees, and connections can only be made from the client to the backup server.

I understand this precludes scheduled backups and server restores, but I wonder if there might be a way to use user backups.   I seem to recall there is a way to turn DNS forward and reverse look-ups off.

However, I'm really stuck with authentication.  How could the backup server ensure the client is who its clientname says it is?

I have NetBackup Enterprise, w/o laptop/desktop option ... version 6.5, if it makes a difference.

My take is that a commercial cloud solution such as Carbonite would provide a much better solution than I can with NetBackup, but I'd love to hear your ideas on how NetBackup might be used, or any other comments you'd care to offer.

Thanks and cheers, Wayne