Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HOW TO STREAMLINE THE BACKUP ENVIRONMENT

2011-03-12 10:50:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HOW TO STREAMLINE THE BACKUP ENVIRONMENT
From: Rick Brown <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:50:17 -0500
Hello Felix,
All I can tell you is you have to start somewhere and work from there.
Try to utilize the checkpoint features where you can for the WAN based backups.
I don't know of anyone having a document listing how they have their backup
infrastructure setup. Too many variables and most companies keep this private.
You have the wonderful task of cleaning up something which has grown out of
control.
Start looking at the source of the failures & track them all. You should be
able to start getting things reliable first, then focus on speed. Make sure you
have an understanding of the reasources you're working with. Something may be
failing because a firmware level on the tape drives needs to upgraded.
Start logging the failures and tracking them, is the best place to start
understanding what you have. This will take some time, but stick with it,
you'll begin to see where the issues are and set priorites.
One word of caution.  .  . Don't try over reacting to any failure by making
constant changes. Log & track failures to see actual problems, not just a
backup job failed.