Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] PureDisk vs. DataDomain

2011-02-15 11:07:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] PureDisk vs. DataDomain
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:07:16 +0100
When I looked at these options a couple of years ago a key difference that
mattered to us was that the PureDisk appliance was not 'owned' by any NetBackup
domain.  That meant several domains can use the same appliance, and so e.g. to
replicate both ways between 2 DCs a pair of appliances was enough. At the time
the DD using OST only allowed 1 Master to use it, so the same setup would mean
4 DD appliances.  I am not sure if this has yet changed.

If you don’t use OST with the DD that does not apply, but then you have to
manage the replicas outside NBU.

We also showed that you can import the images written by 1 domain into another,
which looked good for DR e.g. we could use an existing Master on a DR site to
import replicas directly without having to first recover the primary Master on
the DR site.  It looks as if NBU 7.1 with AIR can automate this, but it
currently only works on MSDP, not with the separate PD appliance.

In theory the PD appliance can scale the dedupe pool to a larger size than the
DD, as I think DD still max out at 2 heads in a single pool, but I may be wrong
on that.

Last point, if you need client dedupe e.g. to get a lot of data out of VMs
without overloading the physical NIC of the ESX server you need NBU7
client...or EMC Avamar.

I have to say we never implemented any of this for NetBackup, and still just
use LTO tapes...sigh.

William D L Brown