Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Archive and Restore taking forever on DR server

2011-02-09 19:10:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Archive and Restore taking forever on DR server
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: Heathe Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:10:37 -0600
Another thought:

If this is version 7.0.1, there is a hostname caching 'feature' now in NetBackup (Which I do NOT like, Symantec!!!). It caches the IP for each host configured in NBU and sometimes this can result in the incorrect IP being tied to the hostname. The default TTL for this cached data is one hour, but you can refresh it by running the following command on the Master/Media server(s) and/or clients:

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

So, you could see that even though the name resolution may be fixed in DNS or hosts, NBU may still have it cached. I've heard there's a way to reduce the time this is refreshed, but I don't remember where it's at.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136792

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Heathe Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

02/09/2011 03:58 PM

"Infantino, Joseph" <jinfanti AT harris DOT com>
cc
NetBackup Mailing List <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Archive and Restore taking forever on DR        server

My apologies, I should have added that.

In my live environment, I have two servers:
ziggurat - Master/Media RHEL4
obelisk - media RHEL4

For "DNS" I'm just relying on the /etc/hosts file as I'm only trying
to recover 5 systems. The source system that I'm restoring from is not
here, not have we built a replica on it. I'm trying to browse files
that were backed up on server-A in my live environment and restore
them to server-B here in the DR environment.

I can browse down the directory tree, it just takes 20 minutes to do
what I can do in 10 seconds in prod. I'm assuming it's trying to call
out the server-A. I don't see why it should have to do that since the
metadata for the restore files should be in the catalog here on my
master server.

-Thanks.

- HKY