Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vmware backups under 7.0

2011-02-08 21:28:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vmware backups under 7.0
From: Crowey <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 21:28:36 -0500
>>On 02/08/2011 11:25 AM, Rusty.Major < at > sungard.com wrote:
>>The only thing I am having concerns with are the speeds that we're seeing
>>so far. We are getting about 35MB/s from each VM. What speeds are others
>>seeing?

>>Same here. I did some preliminary tests and we were getting around 20 to
>>25 MB/s. The backup-host had a 1Gbps HBA and our tape-drives are LTO4
>>(connected thru a 8Gbps Fabric). This was my first time doing backups
>>thru the SAN and couldn't believe how slow the backups were compared to
>>LAN-based backups.

>>I'm doing a hardware refresh (new server) in the next couple of days.
>>This server has two 8Gbps HBAs (one will be zoned to the storage-array
>>and the other one to the robot-library). Each HBA goes to a different
>>Fabric (8Gbps) and I'm expecting , at least, getting around 100 MBps
>>which I think is reasonable. Is anyone out there reaching these speeds?

I wish I was getting a mere 25/35MB/s, currently I'm getting a 10th of that (if
lucky).

I take it that these are flashbackup-windows backups?  And is your VCentre
server virtual or physical - mine is virtual.

I'm getting woeful backup performance, and it doesn't seem to matter if to disc
or tape.  And I'm not sure how to troubleshoot - for example, I can do a full
backup inside a Guest of say a notes database at significantly faster speeds
than our flashbackup backups.  And that's using either disc and/or tape.  And
obviously that's all going through the vSphere infrastructure to the
master/media server (a RHEL 4.8 64bit box). So I'm not convinced its as simple
as saying bandwidth is being saturated - especially as I've timed the backups
when there is no/little activity on the network (and no other backups running).

Are you using a SAN backup, or is it over the network?  (I tried a SAN backup,
but it failed)

Cheers
Crowey