Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about media server OS - Solaris on x86?

2011-01-27 11:46:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about media server OS - Solaris on x86?
From: Bryan Bahnmiller <bbahnmiller AT dtcc DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:45:57 -0600

On an sidebar question, we are also planning on implementing Linux servers, but with VxVM and VxFS. Has anyone compared the relative performance of VxFS versus EXT3?

Bryan

"SIBLEY, Ken R. - ACCOR-NA" <Sibley_Ken AT accor-na DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

01/27/2011 10:28 AM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about media server OS - Solaris on x86?

We run a combination of Solaris x86, Sparc and Red Hat media servers.
We use Sparc where our production servers are Sparc as it allows us to perform
snapshots and mount them on the media servers for off-host backups.  We use
Solaris x86 on a Sun/Oracle X4500 server using ZFS (box has 48 SATA drives and
6 PCI buses); we tried RH on this box, but Solaris w/ ZFS is 3x faster – 220MB/sec+
sustained over trunked network ports.  We then use RH where we either have
less data or need less performance for backups as it helps keep costs down.

Ken