Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about media server OS - Solaris on x86?

2011-01-26 22:49:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about media server OS - Solaris on x86?
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 04:49:08 +0100

We ‘engineered’ – as in wrote the required internal docs – for Solaris x86 a few years back. We found no internal users wanting it.  If their s/w was ported to x86 it was to Windows or Linux, not Solaris.  We dropped support.

BUT I read on this group of people who converted their RHEL media servers to Solaris x86 just to use ZFS and got a big performance boost compared to staging to EXT3.

So it does depend on what you need.  What I would say since Ora¢le took over is to check carefully the ¢ost.  It is emphatically not the same as Sun according to others on the Sun Managers group.  Another aspect  is your in-house knowledge; we have a number of staff with many years Solaris knowledge and a few staff with a few years RHEL knowledge; that delta has a cost.

You have to weigh these up.   I  would also be interested to see what others on this forum who are Sun SPARC users think about the future.

William D L Brown