Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrating HP-UX (Unix) master server to RHEL5 Linux with new server name

2011-01-06 11:10:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrating HP-UX (Unix) master server to RHEL5 Linux with new server name
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 11:10:11 -0500

OK – First – I know name change and IP changes is strongly discouraged for master server without consulting services so please do not simply respond with that.

Despite the above we did successfully move from one HP-UX master to another with a different name back on 4.5 and simply set our internal DNS to point the old hosts name’s IP to the new one (and setup virtual IP for that old IP in addition to the new IP) and that has been working for years.

We now need to move from HP-UX to RHEL5 Linux.   The link here says this is possible:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77448

My first question is has anyone done this successfully for 6.5 changing hostname and IP?   If so would you be willing to share what you did?

My second question regards the file /usr/openv/var/global/server.conf mentioned in above.   It is an ascii file and contains an entry with the master server name (e.g. oldmaster) like:

-n NB_oldmaster

Would I need to modify this to NB_newmaster (i.e. the new master server’s name)?   The notes in the above link talk about issues with the emm database performance.   Is there something I need to do to emm database to make it see it should be NB_newmaster or can I have both NB_oldmaster and NB_newmaster in the file?

Jeff Lightner | UNIX/Linux Administrator | DS Waters of America, Inc | 5660 New Northside Drive, Ste 250 | Atlanta, GA 30328
(: (Direct Dial) 770-486-3516 |(: (Cell) 678-772-0018 *:jlightner AT water DOT com