Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Best architecture for deduplication with NetBackup

2010-12-28 08:59:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Best architecture for deduplication with NetBackup
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 08:59:07 -0500
We haven't used the NBU native deduplication yet so can't advise on
that.   However, your comment about not needing dedupe appliances yet
and the mention of CX4-120 (I'm assuming this is a Clariion array from
EMC) made me want respond.

Dedupe appliances (at least the ones from Data Domain[now EMC]) allow
for replication between sites.  Since there are different sized DD units
it might even be possible to have smaller ones at the remote locations
all replicating to a larger one in your central location.   You'd have
to check with them on that.

Clariions are good for holding lots of storage but aren't incredibly
fast unless you're using the fibre drives rather than the ATA ones.
Their SANCopy software has limits that made us decide we couldn't use it
when we were migrating a couple of years back.   I doubt it has changed
that much.  You want to look into its capabilities before planning on
using it for replicating to a central location.