Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging to tape

2010-11-22 11:06:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Disk Staging to tape
From: Nic Solomons <Nic.Solomons AT attenda DOT net>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:03:09 +0000

I was thinking if you are using cron to disable/enable SLP, you are placing artificial limitations on your solution; but then remembered nbstlutil – which I guess is the command Rusty is talking about…?

The benefit of using SLP and stopping/starting the image duplication (for a specific lifecycle) with cron means you can use the same resources for other lifecycles, whereas using a Basic disk you will be limited to only writing the data with the weird commit to tape requirements (as your specific scheduling is configured for).

So it depends if you want the disk storage to be available for other backups as well, or just these ones (not just now, but potentially in the future).

Cheers,

Nic