Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup DeDupe I/O Requirements

2010-10-13 11:04:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup DeDupe I/O Requirements
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:03:59 -0500

I don't have any personal experience on this, but have been told that SATA will work fine for dedupe. Data Domain and the new NetBackup appliances, and I'm sure all of the other dedupe hardware vendors, use SATA drives.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

10/13/2010 09:46 AM

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] NetBackup DeDupe I/O Requirements

Does anyone running NetBackup DeDupe (Media server, not dedicated puredisk) have any storage recommendations? We use 500GB SATA disks here as the basis for our DSSU / D2D2T infrastructure and I need to know if we can "convert" them to DeDupe storage as is, or if we need to invest in something that is more friendly to random I/O.

Thanks,

-Jonathan