Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Real World NBU Buffer settings Win2k3

2010-09-15 17:32:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Real World NBU Buffer settings Win2k3
From: Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:32:22 -0700
simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net said:
> . . .
> Maybe I could look into this more. But I did want to find out if anyone had
> buffer settings recommended for large file system backups.

Our new master server is Solaris, not Windows, but we did recently add a
largish Windows file server client.  It's currently dumping about 7TB
to LTO4 in around 24 hours.  In this case the bottleneck is the client's
Gigabit Ethernet, which runs at a steady 80-90MB/sec the whole time.

No NTFS compression on the Windows client, no FlashBackup, no multiplexing,
and buffer settings are:
        SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS     262144
        NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS   32

The client is Win2k8R2 server, storage is Dell MD1200, 11x 2TB nearline
SAS drives configured as a RAID-6 array.

Regards,

Marion