Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question for NetBackup 7.0 Dedup user ORData Domain users

2010-08-25 10:50:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question for NetBackup 7.0 Dedup user ORData Domain users
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:49:59 -0400
As I've written previously on this list, I'm a Quantum 6550 customer ... smaller than the questioner's system, backing up about 10T from 120 or so clients on NetBackup v6.5 and OST.  I'm a big fan of OST if you go with a Data Domain or Quantum appliance.  I looked at Quantum OST a year ago, but it's significantly improved through 2010.

While NetBackup v7.0 wasn't available when we were acquiring our current setup, we don't have experience with the new offering for VMWare backup.  Previous versions did not work well for us, so we're using NetApp SnapVault for the most of the VM backups.  File-level and client restore isn't what it could be, but we're writing tools to overcome that.  The very low impact to VMWare production of snapshots is a big win over traditional backup.

We're migrating our Oracle DB backups from NetBackup agent backups to homegrown RMAN scripts writing to a Quantum NAS share, with a separate share for each of our DB groups.  IMHO, the NetBackup Oracle agent is overpriced and underdeveloped (at least through v6.5), so this is a winner for us.  The new scripts are nearly the same as the agent scripts we used.  It appears the biggest problem with this new solution is monitoring, as we no longer have NetBackup and StorageConsole (StorageScape in our case) to do the heavy lifting.

Cheers, Wayne