Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hyper-V Backup

2010-08-10 06:46:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hyper-V Backup
From: "Adrian Soetanto" <adrian.soetanto AT bentoel.co DOT id>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:43:41 +0700
Dear all,

I want to ask about Hyper-V backup.
I have follow the guidance of creating backup policy for Hyper-V in
'NetBackup for Hyper-V Guide' (Document ID: 318358).
I have several Hyper-V client to backup and most of them are
successfully backed up.
But, there are 3 or more clients which failed to backup.

As I know, Hyper-V backup is using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service
(VSS).
I've read this article about enabling Volume Shadow Copy Service on
Windows client:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Windows-Server-2003-
Volume-Shadow-Copy-Service.html

Since not all the backup is successful, I was wondering...do I really
need to enable Shadow Copy on a volume which is backed up?
My Hyper-V server is running on Windows 2008 and the *.vhd files are
located in drive E:\ which is backed up regularly using NetBackup type
'FlashBackup for Windows'.

Currently, the drive E:\ doesn't have VSS enabled on it ('Shadow Copies'
tab under Properties of drive E:\)
I want to make sure what are the requirements to have the Hyper-V backup
finished successfully?

Thank you for helping.

--
Best Regards,