Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] destaging to multiple destinations

2010-08-06 10:57:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] destaging to multiple destinations
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:57:26 -0500

DSSU is a relocation (copy, if you will), which is why you don't have those advanced options. The bpduplicate command is what you want to use outside of DSSU relocation or Vault (or SLP if you go that way). I would recommend using Vault to do the additional copies and retention changes. It's automatic and easy to configure.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

Marion Hakanson <hakansom AT ohsu DOT edu>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

08/04/2010 03:07 PM

VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] destaging to multiple destinations

Greetings,

Netbackup Enterprise Server 7.0 here, on Solaris-10 x86 master server.
The admin guide indicates that when setting up a "relocation schedule"
(a.k.a. "Staging Schedule") for a DSSU, you can specify the destination
tape pool and a retention for each of multiple copies.

However, the Admin Console does not present one with the option of
setting the retention -- only the storage unit and volume pool are
available (also "if this copy fails" and "media owner").

I was hoping to make the primary tape copy and vault copy at the same
time during destaging, but without being able to set the retention here,
I'm a bit stuck.  Is the manual just wrong, or is there a command-line
way of doing this in the staging schedule?

BTW, I'm aware that SLP's are the best way to accomplish this, but unless
you're willing to send us $50k or so to buy Advanced Disk, SLP's are not
an option for us.

Suggestions as to another way to accomplish the goal under Basic Disk
would be welcome.

Regards,

Marion