Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups from Netapp using Netbackup

2010-07-27 10:42:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups from Netapp using Netbackup
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:42:43 -0500
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com> wrote:
Good Morning,

My understanding is that the netapp on  disk is keeping track of changed blocks, but that backup software that is written the backup to tape understands files.  So the backup software is reading  the whole file including both the unchanged blocks and the changed blocks and writing them to tape.

The netapp is using the old unix dump command  to read the files and write them to tape. Netbackup adds its header files to the backup stream. Other then    software such as snap mirror or snap vault I do not believe that the netapp have an api for only passing the changed blocks to the backup software.
One could wonder if this will change with the new world of dedupe.

Just imagine how ugly your restores could get if you only backed up the changed blocks.  If you update block 1 on day 1, block 2 on day 2, block 3 on day 3 and then restore, you'd need all 3 incrementals.  With file-based incrementals, you only need the last one.  If you're backing up to disk,  the first option isn't so bad.  With backups to tape, this would be horrible.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org