Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Your catalog size?

2010-07-22 11:49:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Your catalog size?
From: "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT Staples DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:49:38 -0600
It looks like we might be rolling out NB to an all new environment here.
Dumping the existing product and doing a clean install of NB7.0.

Symantec is recommending two master servers due to the size of the
catalog.  Their reasoning is not the performance of the backups but
rather then time necessary to restore the catalog in the event of a
disaster.  We're not too worried about this aspect of it.  We're more
likely use snapshot technology or other fast-restore methods. We'd
rather have one (clustered) master server for the sake of ease of
deployment.

So - as a sanity check of the huge catalogs, how do you feel about a 1-2
TB catalog?  Anybody running close to these sizes?

-Mark