Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Staging off Virtual Tape Library

2010-07-13 15:19:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Staging off Virtual Tape Library
From: Brandon35 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:19:34 -0400
The person before me had configured a large backup policy (4TB) to have
Multiple Copies. 1 copy goes to our virtual tape library (VTL) with a 2-week
retention and the 2nd copy goes to our physical tape library with a 2-month
retention. Obviously the VTL is there in case of a huge disaster we can have a
faster recovery.

The problem I notice is, in this configuration, Netbackup wants a VTL and TLD
tape drive at the same time to do this backup so that it can stream the data to
both destinations at the same time.

I would much rather backup to the VTL during our nightly backup window and then
let it duplicate to the physidal library during the day. Can I set this up in
Netbackup or am I going to have to start writing some scripts?

I know this can be acheived with DSSU storage units as it very openly has a
"Enable Staging Schedule" button, haha. But no such option on a storage unit
pointing at a VTL....

If I have no explained something clearly, please let me know.