Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] SAN Switch Change caused NBU7 to lose tape drives

2010-07-08 17:38:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] SAN Switch Change caused NBU7 to lose tape drives
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:37:59 +0000
On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 05:22:48PM -0400, Brandon35 wrote:

> I tried this on my solaris box, all I get is
>
> *********************
> ****** SDT_TAPE *****
> *********************
>
> and nothing...

So it's not currently detecting tape drives on the scsi-compatible
busses.  I imagine if you tried to run the wizard right now it would say
detected 0 drives.

> Is there anyway to get this same information on a windows box?

The output I showed is comfing from a windows box (the shell was a
cygwin bash shell).

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\scan -tape (assuming default install
location).

When I'm having drive detection issues my iterative treatment usually
goes something like this:

*) swear about MS drive/driver issues
*) use HBA utility to verify I can see tape target logged in on FC
*) uninstall tape drivers
*) reboot
*) uninstall tape drivers again to make sure no errors (may need reboot)
*) reinstall tape drivers
*) verify "device manager" shows what I expect
*) verify "scan -tape" shows what I expect
*) delete screwed up devices from NBU config
*) run device setup wizard to pick drives back up

I might only do a subset of that if I'm more certain about what the
actual issue is.

--
Darren