Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Performance tuning Windows 2008 client

2010-07-07 10:50:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Performance tuning Windows 2008 client
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Jack.Forester AT mylan DOT com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:49:19 -0500
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM, <Jack.Forester AT mylan DOT com> wrote:

We're observing some significant performance issues with some of our Windows 2008 SP2 clients.
Backing up to a DD880 VTL, one client in particular is running at just over 300KB/sec.  Others are running 2-3MB/sec.
The clients in question are all virtual machines running on VMWare ESX 3.5.0 238493.  Our Windows 2008 clients running on bare metal are performing well.
Our NetBackup environment is version 6.5.3 on the master/media server and the client.

We've tried tuning the net buffer size, but that made no difference.  Are there other things we can try?

Do these contain lots and lots of little files?  If so, have you considered FlashBackup?
Do you have enough memory on these guests.  We've seen some issues where one of our VMware admins decided to give all of the new guests VERY little memory,
forgetting that after he provisioned the guest he was supposed to increase it to a reasonable size.

If you do network exerciser from the guest to the media server, what sort of performance do you get?  For example, have you tried something like an FTP or a simple
file copy directly from the guest to the media server?

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org

We have a case open with Symantec, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has run into this issue.
--
Jack Forester, Jr.
Sr. Data Protection Administrator

jack.forester AT mylan DOT com

Phone: +1.304.554.6039

Cell: +1.412.805.5313

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, proprietary and/or confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, duplication or other use of this message and/or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and its attachments.  Thank you.