Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Destaging going slow

2010-06-29 15:53:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Destaging going slow
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:53:31 -0400

“Gotten away with” I’m sure meant “hasn’t been bit by” not “has evaded authorities” in this context I’m sure.

Monitoring systems is great and certainly can help prevent the situation many find themselves in where they aren’t monitoring and lose a disk without realizing it then lose another later and go crashing to the floor.

However,   many of us have run into the scenario where we ARE monitoring and know exactly when the first drive failed and/or have a hot spare that automatically starts rebuilding the moment it does fail but despite being that proactive have had another drive fail while the rebuild was in progress and thereby lost the entire RAID5 set.   RAID5 is certainly better than JBOD because it does provide some redundancy but in very large arrays it makes sense to try to use a better RAID level OR to split it into multiple RAID5 sets to minimize how much is lost when this happens.  The more disks you have in a single RAID5 set the more likely it is you’re going to experience such a double disk failure at some point.