Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Compressed Vs. Uncompressed

2010-06-23 03:57:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Compressed Vs. Uncompressed
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Adrian Soetanto <adrian.soetanto AT bentoel.co DOT id>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 03:57:11 -0400 (EDT)
Hello,

Regarding Symantec NetBackup:

I cannot comment on the length of backup/restore, there is some overhead obviously when the client has to compress the data before it sends it to the media server, upon restore, I have not tested that scenario. The main benefit for compression before backup (policy-based compression) will generally cut your backup time in half on a slow bandwidth-line *if* you have regular fileystem data for example.

Justin.