Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] /vrts_image_size_record

2010-06-16 11:51:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] /vrts_image_size_record
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Nathan Kippen <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:51:39 -0500
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Nathan Kippen <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
I have windows clients that are continually hanging on streams that are backing up system_state or shadow copy components.  The job details window shows "/vrts_image_size_record" as the current file being backed up -- which is not a file, but a process the master server is doing to do some checks and balances.  Has anybody else out there had this problem?

All issues I've seen with system_state/shadow copy backups have been fixed by following a few simple procedures:
1.  Ensure that the client is set up to use VSS, not VSP.  Don't even install VSP.
2.  Uninstall and re-install the client
3.  Ensure that you have at least 300MB of free space on the system drive
4.  Install the latest hotfixes for VSS.  (sysadmins typically don't do this).  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

Very rarely we still have issues and then have to follow a Microsoft KB article that resolves this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184)

Always remember that NetBackup is the VICTIM of VSS issues, not the culprit.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org