Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] KMS encryption

2010-06-15 19:14:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] KMS encryption
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:13:32 -0400
> I just went to my library and turned on "Application
> Managed Encryption"

Interesting.  Since NetBackup doesn't need anything but bptm and an
LTO4 to do KMS, do you know if your library somehow blocks that
process if that "app managed crypto" isn't turned on?

It's my understanding that the keytags and keys are handled in the
SCSI command stream between the media server and the drive.  Now I'm
wondering if there are libraries that snoop on the data stream and
detect/block those commands.

In all this, I'm assuming your library and drives aren't set up with
the little add-on Ethernet cards that deliver the crypto from other
apps.