Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] KMS encryption

2010-06-15 15:26:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] KMS encryption
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <abhishek.dhingra AT in.ibm DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:26:34 +0000

You can have 1 key per volume pool.

So on  6.5.5 you can encrypt 2 pools.

You can have different encryption keys for each pool.  So I have 2 different key tags depending on which pool the tape belongs to.

In 7.0 you can have 20 pools, but again you can only have 1 active key per volume pool.

Now if you want to change your key, you have those “levels” of a key.

You take current key from active to inactive, and create a new active key for that pool.

An inactive key can be used to decrypt a tape.  So if you have a new active key you can still read the tapes made with the old key.

Where a deprecated key will stay in the database if you want it, but you cannot use it to write or read a tape.

You said: “in case if we don’t have encryption feature enabled at hardware on another site, is there any way to perform the restore.

No – that is the whole point of encryption.

You must have application managed encryption turned on at the other library ( this cost me nothing on my IBM TS3310)

And YOU MUST have the SAME keys on the database at the other site.

TEST TEST TEST  - before you start doing all your tapes verify that you can tape a tape made here and be able to restore it at your other site.  If you cannot read an encrypted tape at your DR site – then what is the point.  You want to lock others out of reading your tapes, not yourself.

The way to verify is when looking at your tapes and you see the encrypted key tag on the image.

Your kms database at your other site must have an exact matching key tag.

As kms is just a bunch of file…. You just copy that dir over to the other server.

The only issue right now for me is 2 volume pools.  I wanted 3, and had to put two groups of tapes into the same pool.

When I upgrade to 7.x I will get to break that group out again and have 3 encrypted volume pools.