Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Large Full schedule, DSSU and Shoe Shinning

2010-06-09 12:08:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Large Full schedule, DSSU and Shoe Shinning
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: Nate Sanders <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 02:08:42 +1000
Shoe shining is less of a problem with modern tape drives, as they have this "speed matching" which will slow the tape drive's throughput down to match, as closely as possibe, the speed that data is coming in from the host...

"The IBM LTO-4 drive has the new technology that matches dynamic speed at any of the 6 speeds of 30MB/sec, 48MB/sec, 66MB/sec, 84MB/sec, 103MB/sec, or 120MB/sec. This speed matching is done for the adjustment of native data speed of the tape drive as close as possible with the net data rate of the host. The host's net data speed is that which is achieved after the factoring out of data compressibility."

The details vary by drive vendor.