Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] FalconStor/NetApp w/OST

2010-06-07 16:38:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] FalconStor/NetApp w/OST
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:37:48 -0400
Almost totally ignoring your questions, I'll offer that while NetApp has a dedup capability, I'm unaware of an OST plugin.

We have a nice pair of Quantum 6550s using NetBackup 6.5.5 and OST ... and are happy customers.

After using NetBackup "Vault" to duplicate backups to tape for off-site, OST between the disk appliances is wonderful.  The Quantum's replicate all blocks between themselves and NetBackup's "Storage Life Cycle" policy quickly and quietly verifies the duplicate on the remote 6550.  We don't use the 6550 tape capability, nor do we use the VTL/FC capability.

We had some getting-started problems, but it looks like the only thing that will persist is that the Quantum OST plug-in can't deal with it's appliances going away and reappearing on a new NFS share (our workaround - reboot the NBU servers).

We had been using the "NetBackup for Oracle DB agent" software, but have created NFS shares on the Quantum to send RMAN backups directly to backup w/o NBU for at least some of these.  A Quantum 6550 scheduled process does periodic snapshots to create point in time versions of the backup NFS space at the alternate 6550.  Separate NFS mounts to separate DB only for security reasons ... we use just one big dedup pool for NBU & these NFS mounts.  CIFS available, but we do little Windows here.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Wayne