Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Latency on robot operations on an i500

2010-05-27 10:34:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Latency on robot operations on an i500
From: Jim VandeVegt <Jim.Vandevegt AT physiciansmutual DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:34:50 -0500
Solaris 10 master/media, NBU 6.5.6, Quantum Scalar i500 library with LTO5 tape drives and 1 LTO3 tape drive. Library is partitioned into 200 slots with the LTO5 drives & encrypted (robot 1), and 180 slots with the LTO3 drive (robot 2).

I just implemented an i500 library and compared with the old STK L180 (robot 0), I am noticing a markedly increased latency in operations that talk to the robot via TLD. (The i500 robot moves slower than the L180, but I am referring to the time needed just to get it to move. I am not that concerned with the slower feed rate.)

Examples:
* Doing a vault deferred eject. I observed a 2-3 minute delay from the activity monitor details saying it was ejecting and the robot starting to move tapes into the IE slots. I never really timed the L180 when using it for vault, but the librarians never complained about it.
* Robot inventory without update and without IE cleanout. I timed two each. The L180 was 8s & 12s. The LTO5 virtual library was 20-25s. The LTO3 virtual library was 25-30s.
* Ran from the command line: echo "s s"|time tldtest -r /path/to/robot/control. L180 was 1.4s. LTO5 was 17.5s, LTO3 was 25.2s.

IO for tape operations is good. The i500 utilizes LUN 1 on one of the tape drives in the partition to control the robot. (Attempting to eliminate fabric communication as an issue.)

Not seeing any errors in /var/adm/messages.

Ability to view a log / enable a log somewhere? I looked under netbackup/logs. The mklogdir script does not create anything obvious for this. Did not see anything under /usr/openv/volmgr either.

It points to the library being the problem, but I want to make sure I have investigated NetBackup as well.
------------------

Jim VandeVegt | Technical Integrator, ETG

Physicians Mutual | 2600 Dodge Street | Omaha, NE 68131

402.930.2649 | PhysiciansMutual.com | Jim.VandeVegt AT PhysiciansMutual DOT com

Insurance for all of us.™

health | life | retirement

This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged
information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for
delivery to the named recipient, you are notified that any review,
distribution, dissemination or copying is prohibited.  If you have
received this message in error, you should notify the sender by return
email and delete the message from your computer system.