Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck

2010-05-25 17:39:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN crosscheck
From: Jared Still <jkstill AT gmail DOT com>
To: David McMullin <David.McMullin AT cbc-companies DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:38:40 -0700
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM, David McMullin <David.McMullin AT cbc-companies DOT com> wrote:

NOTE THIS PART! but this list is incomplete if an image spans several media.

I haven't experienced that myself.

If that were true, RMAN would be unable to restore.
Having used RMAN/NetBackup to do many restores, that statement seems incorrect to me.

One thing that I have seen is that if the tape has been vaulted, the media ID changes and
RMAN no longer knows the correct media to ask for.

When that happen, I have to supply a date range to our Backup Admin, and he requests
the right tapes to restore to the time period.

As re-cataloging NetBackup tapes back into the RMAN repository is nearly impossible,
I never expire anything from RMAN.  That way when an old tape is put back into NBU,
RMAN still has the correct names to request.

I guess it is possible to re-catalog NBU tapes back into RMAN, it just isn't documented by Oracle.

Here's an undocumented CATALOG command you may find interesting:

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com