Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up through NAT

2010-05-20 09:37:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up through NAT
From: "Daniel Otto" <dan_otto AT symantec DOT com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 06:37:19 -0700
So long as they are only doing a static one to one NAT it should work
but you need to make sure you are resolving the outside global NAT-ed IP
address to the correct hostname. And if they are NAT-ing into the
network from the DMZ you need to make sure the inside IP addresses are
translated to the correct hostnames.
If they are using dynamic NAT or Port Address Translation or PAT it will
NOT work. It must be static one to one NAT.
Using host files is probably going to be the best solution.

Easiest way to determine how the servers are translated is to run the
command from the client side bpclntcmd -pn. That will show how the
client server is connecting to the NBU master server.
>From the master server side simply telnet to the clients bpcd port 13782
and with the bpcd log enabled on the client look for the source IP
address incoming in the BPCD ACCEPPT message. If it shows up as the
firewall's outside interface IP address then it is using PAT and will
not work.
Then simply add the translated incoming IP address in the client's host
file tagged to the master server hostname.